In about the year 1850, Richard Cadisch left the small village of Lüven, in the south-east of Switzerland, to broaden his horizons and make a new life for himself. He settled in Arras in Northern France, where he established a confectionery and patisserie business.
He had three sons, and in 1880 the youngest of these, another Richard Cadisch, left France to seek his fortune in England. He started as a general importer, and dealt initially in sheep shears, essential oils and a number of other commodities from offices in Harp Lane in the City of London, and as the motor trade began to develop in the early 1900s he started to import motor accessories, and his big break came when he acquired the British agency for the French Zenith Carburettor.
After the First World War his three sons joined him, and R.Cadisch & Sons was formed in 1920 operating from premises in Great Portland Street and dealing in motor accessories and spares, tools and garage equipment. The firm continued to expand with the motor trade, and in 1925 moved to larger premises in Red Lion Square, London and a branch was opened in Ipswich. In 1928 the firm took on an agency for a French company of wire weavers, and this was run as a sideline to the motor business.
When the Second World War started, the motor business was very limited, so the firm joined the war effort by stocking and supplying aircraft parts to the Air Ministry. After the war, the motor and wire mesh businesses resumed during a period of very rapid expansion.
By 1959 it had become one of the leading motor factors in the country, but had again outgrown its premises and moved to a much larger building in Orsman Road, London. The motor business became increasingly competitive, whilst the wire mesh and filtration business continued to expand, and in 1969 it was decided to sell the motor side and develop the business in wire mesh, filtration and allied products. This involved a move to premises in Finchley, London where it grew rapidly, and added screen printing fabrics and perforated metals to its range.
In 1990 an associate company, Cadisch Precision Meshes Ltd, was formed, and the two now operate from larger, modern premises in North London, specialising in the supply of woven wire and synthetic filtration materials, screen-printing fabrics, perforated metals and many associated products. In 2000 the Cadisch Group further expanded and added to its activities, the architectural metal division which was created not only to continue the excellence of supply established by its sister companies and predecessor, but also to raise the standards of metal supply within the architectural and design marketplaces.